Saturday 21 March 2015

WSS Wargame

Today I payed my second visit to the Tyneside wargames club in Newcastle. They meet at St James United reformed church and have a variety of periods and scales on offer. I took four of my Imaginations battalions and two command bases ( a brigade of 4 x 16 man units), Ian supplied the remaining brigades and the cavalry consisting of cuirassiers and dragoons. We played "beneath the Lily Banner" rules and I just about got the jist of most of the mechanics - apart from musketry, which I'll have to spend a bit time revising to understand a bit better. I took a few pictures but make no attempt to make a Bat Rep ! Each side fielded three brigades of infantry and three of cavalry and one gun each (Me and Ian were the Austrians, Richard and Lawrence the British and Bavarians). The cannon employed 4D10's hitting on an 8 or 10 depending on the range. We lost the fight on the left flank which involved a huge cavalry battle and our attack in the centre and left flank stalled. I had a mixture of satisfaction and embarrassment as I made a few hits on on the enemy horsemen on the left flank. I really enjoyed the game and have threatened to turn up for their next game!













5 comments:

  1. Nice looking pictures Ken!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil - I really enjoyed the game even if Ian didn't like my placement of the cavalry!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great time with your lovely troops, Ken. Nice to hear you're enjoying the rules - which I haven't played yet. Although the period (Lace Wars) does sound intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dean, it was good to get the troops out onto the table and throw some dice.

      Delete
  3. Very pretty looking game, I can see why people like WSS.

    ReplyDelete

Followers